About 'Don't swerve a sight test'
Find out why we are campaigning on vision standards for driving
An estimated 2900 road casualties are caused by poor vision every year. We believe that we can all do more to help make our roads safer.
The Don’t swerve a sight test campaign is about reminding all drivers to have regular sight tests. It’s the easiest way of making sure your vision meets the legal standard and is road safe.
What drivers should know
- Sight often deteriorates slowly so you may not even notice a change to your vision
- Driving with eyesight below the legal standard is dangerous to yourself and others
- Have a sight test every two years, and encourage other drivers to as well
- An appointment with an optometrist at your local opticians is quick, easy and pain free
What the public say?
- 30% of road users have doubted whether their vision is good enough, yet continued to drive
Delayed a vision check
- Two-thirds (62%) of people who wear glasses or contact lenses are “putting off going to the opticians”
Out of date prescriptions
- 36% are wearing an out of date prescription
Won’t stop driving
- One in 10 say they would continue to drive as normal even if they were told their vision, with glasses or contact lenses, was below the legal standard
More rigorous rules
- Two fifths (38%) of UK adults think that the current laws on sight requirements in the UK for a normal car driver should be more rigorous
Help make a difference, download your Don't swerve a sight test campaign pack and start sharing the message.Credit: Optometry Today