Top tips for contact lens wearers
60 second advice video
Top tips if you wear contact lenses
- Good lens wear and care is essential to prevent avoidable eye problems. Wash your hands and dry them thoroughly before using any type of contact lens and follow all the recommended procedures
- Never use tap water to clean lenses - this could lead to serious problems, including corneal ulcers and eye infections. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for cleaning, disinfecting and wearing the lenses
- Don’t change how you clean your contact lenses without asking your optometrist or optician ﬁrst
- Replace your contact lens case regularly to reduce the risk of infection and always use fresh solution to store your lenses
- You shouldn’t wear your lenses for longer than you have been told by your optometrist, and certainly not for more than 16 hours in a day. You should never sleep in them unless they are speciﬁcally designed for overnight wear
- Don’t bathe or go swimming in your contact lenses unless advised you can by your eye care practitioner
- Never share or swap contact lenses with anyone else
- If you wear eye make-up, always apply it after putting your contact lenses in
- Go to regular after-care appointments with your optometrist - at least once a year or more often if your optometrist recommends it, or if you have problems
- If in doubt, take them out. If you experience any signs of redness, pain or loss of vision - consult your optometrist or optician immediately for advice
You can download a version of our 60 second: Contact lens advice video for your practice.
On Internet Explorer, right click the link and select 'Save target as'.
On Chrome, right click the link and select 'Save link as'.
On Safari, right click and select 'Download linked file'.