OFNC update: COVID-19 funding for optical practices in England
Update from the Optometric Fees Negotiating Committee (OFNC)
As the profession is aware, NHS England’s COVID-19 funding for optical practices during the first phase of the pandemic ended on 30 June. The OFNC submitted new funding proposals to NHS England on 16 June, and the following day NHS England publicly committed to work with us on COVID-19 funding requirements for the next phase. However, NHS England has not yet put any new arrangements in place.
Yesterday NHS England put to us for the first time a very limited proposal for temporary further funding, which we rejected as inadequate and unworkable. Today we have written again to the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and the Minister for Primary Care, to ensure that NHS England works with us urgently on new funding arrangements to enable practices to maintain the delivery of NHS services.
We have told NHS England that funding for NHS commissioned primary eye care services during this phase of the pandemic must:
- Cover the additional costs of providing NHS eye care during this phase, including enhanced infection prevention and control measures
- Fund practices to deliver remote care for NHS patients, in line with guidance from NHS England, the General Optical Council and the College of Optometrists
- Ensure that practices in relatively deprived areas that largely provide NHS care, and domiciliary providers that continue to face difficulty in accessing vulnerable patients in care homes, can survive and continue to provide NHS eye care
- Fulfil NHS England’s requirement to incentivise providers to prioritise NHS patients, and to secure value for money
- Align with the arrangements NHS England makes during local lockdowns so that providers can focus on meeting patient needs throughout the pandemic, keeping pressure off GPs and hospitals
For media enquiries, please contact Vicky Vine, Communications Director at the Association of Optometrists, [email protected] or telephone 020 7549 2046.
Notes to editors
The Optometric Fees Negotiating Committee (OFNC) is the national negotiating body for eye care in England with the Westminster Parliament, the Department of Health and Social Care, and NHS England-NHS Improvement. It comprises the leaders of the UK representative bodies: ABDO, AOP, FODO and BMA (for OMPs) and works in partnerships with the College of Optometrists and the General Optical Council.