Bradford College celebrates student success
Student achievements have been celebrated at an anniversary celebration recognising 70 years of ophthalmic dispensing education
01 April 2019
Top students were acknowledged as part of an awards ceremony and 70th anniversary celebration at Bradford College on 6 March.
The college first began offering ophthalmic dispensing education in 1948.
Ophthalmic dispensing lecturer at Bradford College, Mark Hickton, highlighted that the ophthalmic industry and education is constantly evolving in the UK.
“Bradford College is looking forward to another 70 years in which we intend to advance our future provision of ophthalmic dispensing degree courses to meet these challenges and to help support more students in achieving high levels of success,” he said.
Former head of faculty, Julie Lees was recognised with a Lifetime Achievement Award, while practice owners Sukhvinder Virdee (I Wear Opticians, Bradford), and Sukhvir Singh (K S Opticians, Bradford) were acknowledged for their contributions to student placements over the years.
Pictured is: Rachael Smith is awarded best overall student by head of school Zainab Himdan.
- Best Overall Student – Rachael Smith
- Best BSc (Hons) Student– Hina Patel
- Best FdSc Student – Rachael Smith
- Best Research Project – Mariam Aziz
- Best Contact Lens Student – Zoha Rehman
- Best FdSc Practical Dispensing Skills – Bliss Rycroft
- Best BSc Practical Dispensing Skills – Thaiba Kanaat
- Personal Achievement Award – Paula Burke.
Image credit: Paul Maguire