Presbyopia: Successfully fitting your multifocal patients
Alcon discusses successfully fitting multifocal patients
1. Multifocal Design
What really differentiates the Alcon® multifocal range of contact lenses is the unique Precision ProfileTM lens design. The Precision Profile lens design is used across all Alcon multifocal contact lenses (DAILIES TOTAL1® Multifocal, DAILIES® AquaComfort PLUS® Multifocal and AIR OPTIX® plus HydraGlyde® MULTIFOCAL), providing a smooth progression in plus power from distance periphery to near centre power. The gradual change in power creates a smooth transition from distance to intermediate to near vision all whilst minimising aberrations.1
1. Fitting Guide
The perception of fitting multifocal lenses is that it’s often complicated and time consuming. The reality is that the key to successful multifocal contact lens fitting really comes down to following the fitting guide.
With Alcon multifocal contact lenses you have one simple fitting guide that works for the whole multifocal portfolio, taking you through a step-by-step guide to fitting Alcon multifocal contact lenses and detailing the basic principles that should be followed in order to get the best fitting success.
3. Material platforms
Alcon portfolio offers one consistent lens design but 3 unique and different materials.
- DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses that combine outstanding comfort and breathability thanks to a unique water gradient material offering 16 hours of exceptional comfort†2,3.
- DAILIES AquaComfort PLUS with blink-activated moisture technology that releases a moisturising agent with every blink, providing constant refreshment and comfort4,5,6
- AIR OPTIX plus HydraGlyde with unique SmartShieldTM technology that provides consistent comfort from day 1 to 307.
1 multifocal design + 1 fitting guide + 3 material platforms = 96% fit success!8*
* Based on a successful fit with two or fewer lenses per eye.
† Superior Breathability Most breathable daily disposable lens dk/t =156 @ -3.00D. Compared to any branded daily disposable lens.
- Akerman et al, Patient and ECP satisfaction with a novel Water Gradient daily disposable multifocal contact lens, 2nd World Congress of Optometry; Hyderabad, India; 11–13 September, 2017
- Maissa C, et al. Evaluation of the Lubricity of DAILIES TOTAL1 contact lenses after wear. Opt Vis Sci Annual meeting 2014
- Kern J, Rappon J, Bauman E, Vaughn B. Assessment of the relationship between contact lens coefficient of friction and subject lens comfort. ARVO 2013 Annual Meeting Abstract
- Ham BM, Cole RB, Jacob JT. Identification and comparison of the polar phospholipids in normal and dry eye rabbit tears by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47(8):3330-3338
- Belda-Salmerón L, Ferrer-Blasco T, Albarrán-Diego C, Madrid-Costa D, Montés-Micó R. Diurnal variations in visual performance for disposable contact lenses. Optom Vis Sci.2013;90(7):682-690
- Pruitt, Triple-action moisterisers for increased comfort in daily disposable lenses, Optician 2007; 16.11: 27-28
- Nash W, Gabriel M, Mowrey-McKee M. A comparison of various silicone hydrogel lenses; lipid and protein deposition as a result of daily wear. Optom Vis Sci 2010;87: E-abstract 105110
- Bauman.E, Lemp J, Kern J. Material Effect on Multifocal Contact Lens Fitting of Lenses of the Same Optical Design with the Same Fitting Guide. BCLA poster abstract, June 2017. 13099.
©2019 Alcon. GB/VC/VCG/03/19/0043(1).