Webinar: The future of optometry education – an update with Leonie Milliner, GOC Education Director
The GOC has been running its Education Strategic Review (ESR) project since 2017 in order to develop an appropriate new regulatory framework for the education and training of future optical professionals.
Following two rounds of public consultation, the GOC is now running a consultation on the new framework for approved qualification including:
- The standards that education providers will need to meet
- Learning outcomes that students will need to register
- The approach the GOC will take to approving qualifications and assuring their fitness for purpose
Any new education programmes designed to train optometrists, such as the proposal to create a degree apprenticeship, would need to meet the requirements set out by the GOC in the new education regulatory framework created by the ESR.
It’s an important time for members to engage with the ESR, understand the proposed new education model, and influence the GOC on its content and how it will be delivered.
During this hour-long webinar, the GOC Education Director, Leonie Milliner will provide an update on:
- The aims of the Education Strategic Review (ESR)
- The key aspects of the proposed new educational framework
- The GOC consultation and how you can take part
The AOP Policy Team will facilitate the session and will explain how the AOP will respond to the consultation on the ESR to represent different parts of our membership.
Please pre-submit any questions to [email protected] by 11 September.
You can read more about the AOP’s engagement and approach to the ESR in this Optometry Today article.
There are no CET points associated with this webinar.