300 days of sunshine, mild mediterranean climate all year round and beautiful beaches - this is the small Island of Malta in a nutshell. It sounds like a travel ad but it is not - we have a job for you.
A new position has been created within Vision Opticians, the leading optical care retailer in Malta and Gozo. Vision Opticians is a subsidiary company of Class Optical Group.
The open position is for an optometrist who is passionate about optometry, really cares for their patients, and wishes to endeavour to provide the highest level of primary care.
To perform vision tests, analyse results and prescribe eyeglasses, contact lenses, and vision care products. Promote eye health by counselling patients, including explaining how to clean and wear contact lenses. The optometrist shall provide such other services to patients attending at the Optical Shops owned or associated with the Company in accordance with the Optometry Code of Practice, produced by the Council for the Professions Complementary to Medicine – Malta.
Who you are
If you are looking for an opportunity to progress your optometry career and have real ownership over how you practice optometry, then this could be a great opportunity for you.
You will be highly organised, with an aptitude for balancing both the clinical and commercial aspects of the optometrist's role in practice, and also be keen to work with the retail store managers and eyewear specialists to grow and build on the Vision Optician’s existing success.
Who you'll be working with
Besides the working relationship with the customers, the optometrist will work hand in hand with the in-store optical sales teams as well as the senior management team at head office to ensure the highest level of customer service as well as alignment of sales strategies for our products and services.
Additionally, the optometrist will play an integral part in training and upskilling the store managers and eyewear specialists in the area of optical lens technology, through formal and informal knowledge sharing.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- Perform vision tests and analyse results, eg refraction consultations in the form of dedicated sessions and visits across company retail outlets as a healthcare professional
- Diagnose sight problems, such as near-sightedness or farsightedness and eye diseases, such as glaucoma
- Prescribe eyeglasses, contact lenses, and vision care products
- Provide treatments such as vision therapy or low-vision rehabilitation
- Evaluate patients for the presence of diseases such as diabetes and refer patients to other healthcare providers as needed
- Promote eye health by counselling patients, including explaining how to clean and wear contact lenses.
Training, development and other responsibilities:
- A strong emphasis is made on training and development thus enhancing the skills of our in-store employees and convey specialised product knowledge about optical lenses and contact lenses and other product areas within the optical industry
- Where required assisting / recommending to patients with regards to the ideal optical lens solution
- Perform business tasks, such as keeping track of customers and prescriptions.
Required skills, abilities and experience
- The optometrist must be in possession of a valid Licence (warrant) to practice optometry in the territory of Malta, issued by the Maltese Council for the Professions Complementary to Medicine or equivalent for recognition by the Maltese Body
- Demonstrated work experience as an optometrist, with a minimum of four or five years experience, preferably within an optical chain of international standing, involving persuasive interactions that influence and change customer behaviours
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, ie flexibility, adaptability, and ability to provide personal contributions while also working collaboratively as a member of the overall team
- Customer service orientation required. Customer service experience with a proven track record of building positive long term client relations
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to self motivate and work independently
- Role model for others by modelling teamwork, professionalism and composure
- Attention to detail.
- Full-time - indefinite contract
- An attractive remuneration package is being offered to the right applicant based on qualifications and experience.
Besides joining an awesome team, the company offers additional benefits and perks, such as free private health insurance, annual performance bonus, yearly company product vouchers, and regular team events.
Want to know more?
Want to know more about Vision Opticians? Follow us on Facebook, Instagram or LinkedIn and see what the team is up to.
If you are interested in the role, submit your CV now through the form by clicking the "Apply Now" button. We are looking forward to receiving your application.
If applying for this role, please mention that you saw the advert on the OT website.