Independent Health Group is a small, friendly, entrepreneurial organisation which delivers patient-centred, NHS day-case surgery in the community.
We are looking for an experienced Optometrist that has experience of undertaking pre-operative cataract assessments and post-operative reviews with patients. We need someone who is used to working independently without day to day supervision.
The Optometrist will work closely with the Consultant Ophthalmologists who undertake the cataract procedures, initially undertaking assessments with their support until confident to work fully independently in our service. This is a change to our current patient pathway: we anticipate needing 3 to 4 sessions a month, although this may increase.
Once the initial training and induction is completed with the other members of the team, we can be flexible about when the clinics are offered to suit the Optometrist, equating to 4 hours per week.
We can offer this appointment on an hourly paid employed basis, or as a direct contractor. Our core hours are 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday.
• To perform a comprehensive range of clinical assessments for pre and post-operative cataract patients, working autonomously and making clinical decisions using own judgement and initiative
• To analyse and interpret patient test results to identify the success of cataract procedures
• To identify new or deteriorating conditions, carry out relevant tests in line with established pathways and refer patients to an ophthalmologist where necessary
• To explain the implications of eye conditions, treatment options, medication and possible side effects to patients, some of which may be distressed or confused
• To advise patients on the appropriate care for their eye conditions
• To ensure that evidence based clinical standards of care to patients are achieved
• To ensure the delivery of agreed quality standards, taking any necessary action to remedy shortcomings in services that contribute to patient care
• To keep accurate patient health records and write to GPs and other professionals regarding patient progress and outcomes
• Ensure information collected enables Independent Health Group provide information for the Cataract National Audit
• To support with the investigation of complaints and clinical incidents, ensuring that any investigations are thorough and that action plans are completed to enable lessons to be learned and shared
• To work within the requirements of the code of practice and standard of the College of Optometrists and General Optical Council
• To be responsible for and demonstrate commitment to Continuing Professional Development and Clinical Governance.
If you are interested in applying for this post, please email your current CV to [email protected]