Qualifications and experience
The successful candidate must possess a PhD in Optometry or a professional doctorate such as an OD or MD.
Candidates must also have:
- Sub-specialty training
- More than one year teaching experience in the field of optometry
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Visual Science/Visual Optics
- Public Health/Primary Eye Care
- Binocular Vision
- Low Vision
- Management of Ocular Disease.
Candidates with a strong record of research and publications in peer-reviewed journals would have an advantage.
Candidates must be registered or be able to be registered with the Trinidad and Tobago Opticians Registration Council.
- Working closely with staff in the Faculty of Medical Sciences in providing quality leadership in teaching and curriculum development
- Teaching undergraduate students
- Undertaking clinical supervision
- Participating in clinically oriented problem-based learning activities and optometry externship
- Supporting University assessment and examination activities
- Conducting impactful research and publications
- Guiding and supervising student research
- Attracting external research and development funding.
The Unit places high priority on individuals of integrity who can work well in a team and student friendly environment. Candidates should also possess good communication and interpersonal skills. A good command of both oral and written English is essential. Candidates must also:
- Be able to work in teams to provide leadership in teaching and curriculum development
- Have strong patient management skills
- Be familiar with computer software application and statistical packages
- Be able to work in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Be able to relate well with colleagues and support staff and take on any responsibilities incumbent with the post.
Detailed application and full curriculum vitae should be sent to the Campus Registrar, c/o HR Division (Appointments Section), Main Administration Building, The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. via email: [email protected] Three (3) referees (one of whom should be from your present organisation) must be indicated.
Application forms may be obtained at http://www.sta.uwi.edu in the Faculty & Staff, Staff Vacancies section.
Further particulars, including remuneration package, may also be obtained at the above address.
In order to expedite the appointment procedures, applicants are advised to ask their referees to send their references under CONFIDENTIAL cover DIRECTLY to the Campus Registrar at the above address without waiting to be contacted by the University. Applications received after the deadline date will not be considered.