This role is responsible for delivering engaging and timely content and providing editorial and production support, for the Association of Optometrists’ (AOP) online and print journal, Optometry Today (OT).
Reports to: Deputy editor
The communication team has responsibility for all external communications for the organisation, including marketing, PR, OT and digital.
Duties and key responsibilities
Deliver high quality editorial content for OT’s multimedia channels
- Produce breaking B2B news content for www.optometry.co.uk on a daily basis, in line with the interests of members and related to the profession and industry
- Develop a book of industry contacts and source news stories
- Support OT’s social media strategy, helping to set the news agenda, working to grow our follower counts, and increasing engagement
- Contribute to editorial meetings including researching story leads and pitching feature ideas for the monthly print edition
- Commission and carry out interviews for online multimedia video content
- Produce ad hoc news analysis pieces and features for the print edition
- Commission editorial content from within the AOP, as well as from external industry experts.
Support OT’s editorial production processes
- Fact-checking and copy-proofing pages, ensuring editorial values of accuracy, relevance, ease of use and respect for the law are met
- Writing headlines and standfirsts for online, to support SEO
- Support the digital team to traffic and publish content online on a daily basis.
Manage stakeholder relationships related to OT
- Attend key trade and clinical education events to network and build industry contacts
- Support OT’s commercial team to produce ad hoc commissioned advertorial content and supplements
- Support the wider AOP Communications Team, including media and PR activities
- Act as a point of contact for OT across the organisation and help to promote its activities to members
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your work at hand and maintain and improve personal competence through continuing professional development
- Operate within organisational policies, codes of conduct and practice and work collaboratively with staff across the Association
- Contribute to team meetings and organisational priorities, strategic goals and performance targets
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as and when they may arise, develop or be assigned within the broad remit of the post
- Previous experience of working as a reporter producing daily content for an online publication/website in a deadline-driven environment
- Subediting/headline writing for online/print
- Uploading content using a CMS (Sitecore CMS experience desirable)
- Developing contacts and networking, with the desire and confidence to represent the journal at top industry levels.
- All-round journalistic skills, including research and analytical skills
- Ability to meet daily deadlines
- News-hungry, investigative; able to spot and source news stories
- Accurate proof reading skills, and excellent spelling and grammar
- Communications and networking skills, including the ability to create and maintain effective working relationships and represent the OT brand
- An understanding of technology for communications and its uses, including social media
- Ability to plan workload and re-organise, based on changes in news and deadlines
- Up to date IT skills, including experience of Microsoft Office, willingness to learn new packages as required. In Design experience preferred.
- Media law etc
- SEO for online publishing
- Social media tools in a journalistic and business environment, and a track record of growing your audience by using them effectively
- Interest in business news.
- NCTJ or equivalent journalism qualification desirable, including shorthand.
- Flexible to working outside normal office hours, including travelling as required
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to work in a changing environment and manage multiple work activities, projects and deadlines
- Committed to achieving a high quality service with good attention to detail
- Committed to personal development through actively developing this role
- Confident and assertive whilst approachable and client friendly.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a covering letter, explaining your suitability for the role, and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 19 May 2017.