Summer roadshow planned for charity's new mobile sight loss unit
A sight loss charity in West Yorkshire is planning a summer roadshow that it hopes will give local people an opportunity to talk in confidence about their sight loss concerns.
Outlookers (previously the Kirklees Visual Impairment Network) will begin its three-week roadshow on Wednesday 18 August in Dewsbury.
It will then travel to other locations in Kirklees, including Waterloo, Holmfirth, Ravensthorpe and Crosland Moor.
It is hoped that the roadshow will allow local communities to find out more about the organisation and discuss any concerns they have about their sight.
A mobile sight loss centre has been created for this purpose, after a van was donated by local specialist vehicles provider Terberg DTS UK.
The charity hopes the new mobile unit will allow people who are isolated by transport or disability, or who are living alone, to visit and discuss any worries they have. Those attending will also be able to see the optical equipment used to treat patients.
Locations that are accessible to as many people as possible, including supermarkets and community centres, have been chosen.
Outlookers wants to ensure that everyone with a visual impairment has access to technology that can help them retain their independence. The charity is run by people who themselves are blind or partially sighted, offering peer and technological support to those impacted by sight loss. Services include one-to-one support for activities including help accessing free talking books and adapting smartphones so that apps can be used.
Christine Stephen, CEO at Outlookers, said: “The charity has a wealth of knowledge about technology which people can easily learn to use to benefit themselves, so we want to ensure that residents throughout Kirklees have the access to any support they need throughout their sight loss journey.”
She added: “We are thrilled to be able to meet as many people as possible throughout the summer.”
The roadshow schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday 18 August: Asda, Mill St W, Dewsbury
- Tuesday 24 August: Morrisons, Penistone Road, Waterloo, Huddersfield
- Tuesday 24 August: Morrisons, Station Street, Meltham, Holmfirth
- Tuesday 31 August: Greenwood Centre, Huddersfield Road, Ravensthorpe, Dewsbury
- Wednesday 1 September: Co-op, Market Street, Holmfirth
- Tuesday 7 September: Mullaco, Mullaco Retail Park, Slaithwaite Road, Dewsbur
- Wednesday 8 September: Crosland Moor Community Learning Centre, Moorfield Shopping Centre, 15 Park Road W, Crosland Moor, Huddersfield.
Updates on the summer roadshow can be found on the charity’s Twitter page.