MAYopia Day - Webinar 3 - Myopia management: a patient-centred approach
Interactive CPD points: 1
In recent years, myopia has become an area of practice where clinicians have the opportunity to not only correct, but also influence the progression of myopia and improve clinical outcomes for their patients. With a rapidly changing evidence base and an ever-growing portfolio of clinical solutions available, it is important that practitioners are updated on the latest developments in the field and incorporate myopia management tools within their skillset.
This event offers a full day of education on the theme myopia management designed to bring the profession together to hear from experts and share learnings in this key clinical area. The programme will deliver five live webinars, each offering one interactive CPD point. Delegates are invited to attend the full programme or choose individual sessions based upon their clinical interests.
- Session one: Myopia: putting the evidence-base into practice – Book now
- Session two: Myopia: the basics– Book now
- Session three: Myopia management: a patient-centred approach – Book now below
- Session four: Myopia control: the evolution of spectacle lens technology– Book now
- Session five: Effective communication of myopia management from the consulting room– Book now
Session three: Myopia management: a patient-centred approach
Implementing myopia management (MM) in practice requires clear communication, an understanding of new treatment technology, a logical approach to clinical examination as well as a strategy to identify suitable patients. However, patient centred care involves providing care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient preferences, needs, and values and ensuring that patient values guide all clinical decisions.
Communication with children and parents using appropriate terminology to illustrate the clinical and functional importance of myopia management will be discussed. In the UK the three modalities of treatment involve MM spectacle lenses, soft MM contact lenses and orthokeratology. An overview of the efficacy of these treatments will be provided as well as addressing the suitability of these treatments in terms of patient needs.
Aside from the clinical examination and follow-up appointments, myopia management involves other members of the practice such the receptionist, dispensing opticians and contact lens opticians. Training and advice to the practice team will help in addressing parental concerns and deliver a consistent myopia management service. In summary, successful implementation of myopia management requires good communication skills, understanding of myopia risk and introducing modifications to the conventional paediatric examination.
- This webinar is approved for 1 interactive CPD point
- To be eligible for the CPD point you need to attend for the duration of the session
- The webinar will take place using Zoom
- We recommend that you use a computer or tablet device to join this webinar
12:30 - 13:30
Myopia management: a patient-centred approach
CPD ref no: C-102126
Dr Trusit Dave
Dr Trusit Dave is an optometrist, researcher and inventor. He has a PhD which involved research into corneal topography, aberrometry and the development of topography-based algorithms. He has spent 25 years in a two specialist optometry practices in England which he still owns. He is also a fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. Trusit has published papers in various journals and also the co-author of Orthokeratology: Principals & Practice and has lectured all over the World. He is a consultant to the contact lens industry, a medico legal expert and co-inventor of a technology owned by Topcon. Trusit is the founder and CEO of Optimed which provides patient engagement and marketing software for ophthalmologists and optometrists in 15 languages over 23 countries.
- Practitioners will be able to communicate effectively with patients and their parents about myopia management
- Practitioners will understand the need for training the whole practice team in order to deliver a consistent myopia management service