An estimated 2900 road casualties are caused by poor vision every year. We believe that we can all do more to help make our roads safer.
The Don’t swerve a sight test campaign is about reminding all drivers to have regular sight tests. It’s the easiest way of making sure your vision meets the legal standard and is road safe.
- Sight often deteriorates slowly so you may not even notice a change to your vision
- Driving with eyesight below the legal standard is dangerous to yourself and others
- Have a sight test every two years, and encourage other drivers to as well
- An appointment with an optometrist at your local opticians is quick, easy and pain free
- Let’s change the law and make our roads safer
Did you know?
- 30% of road users have doubted whether their vision is good enough, yet continued to drive
- 26% say they’ve delayed getting their eyes checked by an optometrist despite suspecting their vision was getting worse, and 6% admit to stalling a sight test for more than a year
- Less than half (40%) would stop driving if they were told their vision, even with glasses or contact lenses, was below the legal standard for driving. With 10% saying that they would continue to drive as normal
- 16% admit to knowing a driver whose sight they believe to be below the legal vision standard
Help make a difference, download your Don't swerve a sight test campaign pack and start sharing the message.