JOB DESCRIPTIONJob title: PR and media manager
Job purpose: The PR and Media Manager is responsible for managing proactive and reactive AOP PR and media activity to raise the profile of the AOP, optometry and eye health.
Maternity cover: Starting 3 September 2018 for 10-12 months (tbc)
Reports to: Communications Director
Responsible for: Marketing and PR Officer (dual management with the Marketing Manager)
The Communications Directorate has responsibility for all external communications for the organisation including marketing, PR, Optometry Today and digital.
Duties and key responsibilities
Manage the AOP’s PR and media plan and activity, ensuring it helps build a positive profile of the AOP, optometry and eye health
- Deliver the PR and media plan, including a schedule of planned annual press and social media activity, drafting press releases and linking in with relevant activity across the communications and policy teams
- Lead on AOP responses to media enquiries – working with the clinical, regulatory and policy teams to formulate statements and media briefing documents for interviews. Organise the logistics for media interviews with the AOP’s internal or external media spokespeople – ensuring they are fully briefed and enquiries are logged
- Work closely with broadcast agency, On Broadcast, to deliver one of the AOPs principle campaigns, Don’t swerve a sight test – raising awareness of the importance of vision for driving ahead of Road Safety Week, 2018
- Conduct quarterly evaluation of media coverage – logging the number of articles. Review reports supplied by ON Broadcast including reach and impact of the AOP’s primary campaigns on children’s eye health and Don’t swerve a sight test
- Using evaluation and learning from 2018, develop the 2019 PR and media strategy in Q4, including the 2019 budget for approval by the Board
- Carry out online news monitoring, supplied by Meltwater, to summarise and circulate mainstream optical stories in a daily news update to members
- Follow up any relevant optical stories with an AOP comment with the support of the clinical, regulatory and policy teams and/or AOP’s media spokespeople, utilising Gorkana to contact journalists
- Manage case studies and testimonials for external promotion when appropriate
- Build relationships with national media contacts, including health, political, education and technology correspondents to promote the AOP as an expert voice
- Support the sector’s collaborative PR and communications activity for National Eye Health Week including ghost writing content for Vista magazine – a publication produced for optical practices during the awareness week
- Work with Optical Confederation (OC) communications leads to produce collaborative sector media responses and statements – reflecting the AOP’s position
- Draft AOP comment, working with the clinical, regulatory and policy teams, to feature in OT articles.
Manage patient information and resources
- Working closely with the clinical communications group, lead on the production of resources for the For patients section of the website, including the production of a suite of clinical leaflets, practice posters, animated and 60 second advice videos aimed at the public
- Regularly measure and compare the effectiveness of our public facing resources via website analytics and social media engagement
- Support the development of other areas of the AOP website, including the media center, image library, blogs, press releases and AOP news
- Work with the Website Content Editor to ensure the smooth delivery of media campaigns via the AOP website - advising on content structure and reviewing for style and formatting.
Manage the Voice of Optometry research panel aimed to increase media coverage
- Manage the AOP’s annual Voice of Optometry survey, acting as the project lead, with support from the Communications Director, Policy Director and Marketing and PR Officer, plus a wider project group
- Liaise with the research agency to ensure effective survey design and set up
- Write and deliver email communications for the Voice of Optometry survey including managing member data, invitations and reminders via Survey Monkey, and follow up communications
- Analysis of data, with the support of the research agency, and external promotion to the media to increase media coverage – producing a schedule of activity using survey results.
Manage and oversee events PR to increase awareness of AOP CET and events
- Oversee events PR, led by the Marketing and PR Officer, including pre- and post-event press releases and tailored AOP Awards releases for winners.
Management of the media and PR function to ensure delivery of work to a high standard which meets organisational objectives
- In collaboration with the Marketing Manager, lead, manage and develop the Marketing and PR Officer to meet and exceed the strategic objectives of the business and communications strategies
- Contribute towards annual communications objectives that meet members’ needs and help deliver business objectives
- Contribute to the planning and development of the annual communications budget. Manage spend and ensure the expenditure remains within the approved budget.
- Be proactive in keeping up to date with developments affecting your work at hand and maintain and improve personal competence through continuous professional development
- Operate within organisational policies, codes of conduct and practice and work collaboratively with staff across the association
- Contribute to team meetings and organisational priorities, strategic goals and performance
- Be flexible and carry out other associated duties as may arise, develop or be assigned within the broad remit of the post.
- Background in the membership or not-for-profit sector
- Over 4 years’ experience in delivery of PR and media to support organisational objectives
- Management of a PR/media team
- Proactive and reactive media experience, including crisis communications
- Communications experience across a range of platforms
- Effective project management and successful delivery to key targets and objectives
- Developing and costing project/marketing plans at a strategic level.
Skills and abilities
- Expressive and engaging writing and communication skills for a variety of media and audience groups
- Develop complex strategies and implement them in the context of overall organisational plans
- Ability to work effectively with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Persuasion, negotiation, diplomacy and presentation skills
- Project management skills including setting clear targets and outcomes
- A practical, flexible and innovative approach to work
- Team working skills and the ability to lead and motivate others.
- In depth understanding of PR and media theory and techniques and relevant platforms
- Understanding of how to apply business techniques in a not-for-profit environment
- Knowledge of design and marketing.
- Background in PR/media, including a degree or diploma
- Evidence of Continuing Professional Development.
Personal attributes and other requirements
- Calm under pressure
- Willingness to assist and support members individually in an empathic way
- Enthusiasm and willingness to be flexible in achieving targets and outcomes.
To applyIf you are interested in applying for this position, please send a covering letter, explaining your suitability for the role, and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.